Present PhD Students as main supervisor
- Renske Terwisscha van Scheltinga, PhD, Co-Supervisor AProf Giovanni Coco, start 2016
- Joë Pelmard, PhD, Co-Supervisor Dr Stuart Norris, start 2016
- Gabriel Spreitzer, PhD, Co-Supervisor Dr Jon Tunnicliffe, start 2016
- Morten Knapp, PhD, Co-Supervisor Prof John Montgomery, Dr Colin Whittaker, start 2018
Present PhD Students as co-supervisor
- Yifan Yang, PhD Co-Supervisor (Supervisor Prof Bruce Melville)
- Chuang Jin, PhD Co-Supervisor (Supervisor AProf Giovanni Coco)
- John Montgomery, PhD Co-Supervisor (Supervisor Prof Karin Bryan)
- 2015-2017 Stéphane Bertin
- 2013-2015 Benjamin Levy
Past PhD Students
- 2015-2018 Jane Groom, PhD, waiting for examination, Supervisor
Riverbed roughness and interlayer structures
- 2014-2018 Lu Wang, PhD, waiting for examination, Co-Supervisor
Local scour at submerged weirs
- 2014-2017 Wei Li, PhD, Graduated 2018, Supervisor
Advances in topographic reconstruction of fluvial surfaces | now working in China
- 2014-2017 Richard Wilson, PhD, Graduated 2018, Supervisor
Dynamics of unconfined turbidity currents and their interaction with obstacles and substrates | now working at Tonkin + Taylor
- 2012-2016 Xiaozhou Xiong, PhD, Graduated 2017, Co-Supervisor
Combined abutment and contraction scour in compound channels for extreme flood events
- 2011-2015 Stéphane Bertin, PhD, Graduated 2016, Supervisor
Developments in Photogrammetric Remote Sensing for Grain-Scale Fluvial Morphology Studies | continued as Postdoctoral Fellow with me
- 2011-2015 Dawei Guan, PhD, Graduated 2016, Co-Supervisor
Scour at submerged weirs | now at Hohai University
- 2008-2011 Katherine Heays, PhD, Graduated 2012, (Jointly with Prof Bruce Melville)
Cluster formation and stream-bed armouring: a photogrammetric study | now working at Tonkin + Taylor
Past ME Students
- 2013-2014 Stephen Currie, ME, Graduated 2015, Supervisor, Effect of Ocean Waves on the Viaduct Marina, Auckland
- 2012-2013 Joseph Chaloner-Warman, ME, Graduated 2013, Supervisor, Armour layer development and destruction: an investigation into the effectiveness of beach raking | now working at Watercare
- 2010-2011 Theo Sangster, ME, Graduated 2011, Supervisor (Co-Supervisor Dr Lorna Strachan, School of Environment, Faculty of Science) The effect of Confinement on the Depositional Evolution of Laboratory Turbidity Currents | now working at Waikato Regional Council
- 2008-2009 Yudan Liang, ME, graduated 2010, Supervisor (Co-Supervisor A/Prof Asaad Shamseldin) Impact of Catchment Size for Stormwater Runoff Modelling in the Auckland Region | moved back to China
- 2018. Alexsan Rov. Inhae Jung. Flow at the sediment-water interface.
- 2018. Joseph Gibson, Max Tang. Investigation of the movement behaviour of Large Woody Debris (LWD).
- 2017. Felicity Penman, Leena Patel. Investigating near-bed interactions between sediment and flow.
- 2017. Katie Wilson, Lyneche Simkin. Application of Genetic Programming for coastal erosion modelling.
- 2017 Joshua Ackers, Hyun Kim. BE. Flooding and inundation in New Zealand: an engineering perspective.
- 2016 Shaneel Bhavan, Neill Tailor. BE. Fluid forces around obstacles.
- 2016 Ashleigh Frew, Maes Shukur. BE. Visualisation of flow/sediment dynamics.
- 2016 Reem Barakat, Timothy Bohles. BE. Modelling the effect of vegetation on resuspension.
- 2015 Matthew McQueen, Aaron Falconer. BE. Tamaki Drive wave overtopping.
- 2015 Damian Teh, Edwin Nixon. BE. Understanding torrents that flow on the seabed.
- 2015 Jayson Hodgson, Joshua Wilson. BE. Riverbed moulding: Just like peeling an orange!
- 2013 Jarra Parsonson, Bradyn Church. BE. Riverine sediment transport.
- 2013 Oliver Ferrick, Kieran Woods. BE. Investigation and analysis of a mobile shoreline.
- 2013 Ziwen An, Chenhui Zhou. BE. Turbulence characteristics of a fixed gravel bed.
- 2012 Sanchit Shukla, Nipun Jayaweera. BE. The Effect of Flow Velocity on 3D Underwater Stereo Vision
- 2012 Wayne Wu, Josh Dowds. BE. Use of 3D Underwater Stereo Vision for Water Resources Applications
- 2011 Richard Wilson, Jenny McArthur. BE. Dynamic Analysis of the Interaction between Unconfined Turbidity Currents and Obstacles
- 2010 Chris Hartnett, Jackie Yeung. BE. Flow around Clusters
- 2009 Anna Evans, Claire Oliver. BE. Patterns in Riverine Environments
- 2009 Theo Sangster, Ashley Keyworth. BE. Artificial Surf Reefs
- 2009 John Hardley, Rebecca Donnelly. BE. Flow Visualisation
- 2008 Alistair Briffet, Alistair Hancox. BE. Artificial Surf Reefs
- 2017-18 Hukerenui Bonnet. Summer Project. Assessing the suitability of using Acoustic Doppler Velocimeters to perform near-bed velocity measurements in the context of Ecohydraulics studies
- 2017-18 Maria Zeng.Summer Project. Understanding Torrent Flow on the Seabed
- 2017-18 Angelia Cao.Summer Project. Forestry Slash: What happens with trees that fall into a river?
- 2012-13 Ziwen An. Summer Project. Characteristic Study of Seatek’s MTA and Nortek’s Vectrino+
- 2012-13 Yunpeng Lu. Summer Project. Evaluation of SeaTek and Study on Vectrino II
- 2010-11 Richard Wilson. Summer Project. Comparative Study of Acoustic Doppler Velocimeter and Ultrasonic Doppler Velocity Profiler
- 2009-10 Theo Sangster. Summer Project. Design of a Turbidite Basin
Supervised Foreign Exchange Students (BE)
- 2018 Florent Greder. Sensor evaluation for Large Woody Debris (LWD) research. Télécom Physique Strasbourg, France, 3 months.
- 2018 Paul-Edouard Brugger. Sensor evaluation for Large Woody Debris (LWD) research. Télécom Physique Strasbourg, France, 3 months.
- 2017 Hippolyte Favre. Applying Structure from Motion to obtain DEM of underwater dunes and validate their accuracy. Télécom Physique Strasbourg, France, 3 months.
- 2017 Clémence Poncet. Effect of particle morphology on fractional transport rates during sediment transport. Institut National Polytechnique de Toulouse, France, 4 months.
- 2016 Pauline Jacquin. Efficient use of Acoustic Doppler Velocimeter instruments in turbulent flow studies. Université catholique de Louvain, Belgium, 4 months.
- 2016 Andreas Baumann. Towards improved hydrodynamic understanding of suspended canopies: Flow and forces for suspended cylinders in tandem. ETHZ, Switzerland, 4 months.
- 2014 Ole Richter. CFD Modelling of Turbidity Currents. University Rostock, Germany. 4 months.
- 2014 Mélody Dequidt. Supporting gravel-bed project. Ecole Nationale du Génie de l’Eau et de l’Environnement de Strasbourg, ENGEES, France. 3 months.
- 2014 Josselin Le Gal La Salle. CFD Modelling of Turbidity Currents. Bordeaux Institute of Technlogy (IPB), ENSEIRB-MATMECA, France. 3 months.
- 2014 Severin Stähly. Granulometry of fluvial grains’ body axes by computer-aided vision. ETHZ, Switzerland, 4 months.
- 2012 Julien Nave. CFD Modelling of Turbidity Currents. Bordeaux Institute of Technlogy (IPB), ENSEIRB-MATMECA, France. 4 months.
- 2012 Margot Lhoste. Gravel-bed Development. Ecole Nationale du Génie de l’Eau et de l’Environnement de Strasbourg, ENGEES, France. 3 months.
- 2012 Francois Lemaire. Gravel-bed Development. Ecole Nationale du Génie de l’Eau et de l’Environnement de Strasbourg, ENGEES, France. 3 months.
- 2011 Mikaela Lewis. MATLAB Flow Mapping Analysis of Turbidity Currents using Ultrasonic Doppler Velocimeter (UDV) Measurement Techniques. University of Alberta, Canada. 8 months.
- 2010 Stéphane Bertin. Gravel-bed topography measurement – suitability evaluation for statistical roughness analysis. Institut des Sciences et Techniques de l’Ingénieur de Lyon/École Polytechnique Universitaire Lyon, France. 6 months.
- 2008 Guillaume Weber. Tracer Experiments in Groynes. École nationale des travaux publics de l’État, Vaulx en Velin, Lyon, France. 6 months.
- 2007 Remy Gasset. Model Experiments: Influence of Floods and Dredging on Sediment Deposits in Rivers Equipped with Groynes. École nationale des travaux publics de l’État, Vaulx en Velin, Lyon, France. 6 months.